This easy parsnip and leek soup is a cozy and delicious way to enjoy lots of vegetables in one bowl! Not only is it tasty, but it can also be made completely plant-based, making it a healthy and satisfying option for vegans and non-vegans alike.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed, and sliced crosswise. See notes for properly trimming and cleaning leeks.
- 1lb parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2oz cream cheese or 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the leeks and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until very soft.
- Add the parsnip, celery, garlic, thyme, and sage and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper. Use an immersion blender (or transfer small portions to a regular blender) to purée the soup until it is very smooth. Add cream or coconut milk, if desired.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with chopped chives or green onion to serve.
To prepare the leeks, cut off the root end and the dark green top of the leeks. Discard the root and top. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise, then rinse the halves under cold running water to remove any sand or dirt. Slice the leeks into thin half-moons, then place them in a bowl of cold water. Swish the leeks around in the water to dislodge any remaining dirt. Remove the leeks from the bowl and rinse them under cold running water. Make sure all the dirt is gone. Place the leeks on a clean kitchen towel and gently pat them dry.
Keywords: creamy parsnip soup