Hearty vegetarian chili is topped with cornbread for an easy one-pan meal that comes together quickly! This tasty recipe is easy to make, budget-friendly, and perfect for a filling meatless meal!
For the vegetarian chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup sweet corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
For the cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or avocado oil
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, and tomato paste, stirring until the onion is evenly coated with the spices. Continue to cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the kidney beans, black beansm corn, and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the chili is simmering, begin to prepare the cornbread.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Stir the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and oil.
- Add the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. A few lumps are ok.
- Once the chili has cooked and thickened, spoon the cornbread mixture on top of the chili in the skillet.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cornbread topping has set.
You can substitute dairy milk for almond milk, if desired.
Keywords: chili cornbread skillet