This Chickpea and Quinoa Stew is loaded with spices and delicious flavors of paprika and chipotle peppers. It can be prepared in an Instant Pot or slow cooker, for an easy weeknight meal!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (see note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (Reduce to 3 cups for slow cooker directions)
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Optional toppings: avocado, red pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, tortilla chips
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Turn the pressure cooker to saute
- Add the olive oil and onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, and paprika and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the adobo sauce, vegetable broth, quinoa, and chickpeas.
- Set to manual cooking and cook for 4 minutes.
- Quick release pressure and remove lid when depressurized.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Microwave the olive oil, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and paprika for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Transfer the softened onion mixture to the slow cooker and add adobo sauce, 3 cups vegetable broth, quinoa, and chickpeas.
- Stir, cover, and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours until the quinoa is fluffy.
For the adobo sauce, look for a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. If you like things spicy, add 1 chopped chipotle pepper. To keep the recipe more mild, add just 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce.
Keywords: Chickpea and Quinoa Stew