These healthy carrot cake bars are soft and tender with a hint of cinnamon and spice. You’d never guess these tasty treats are secretly healthy!
- 1 cup creamy almond butter (see note)
- 1 egg (see notes for vegan option)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter, egg and coconut sugar until completely mixed.
- Stir in the carrots, walnuts, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt until combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking pan. A rubber spatula can help spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Make sure your almond butter has been stirred well before measuring. Almond butter will often separate and you don’t want it to be too oily or too dry for this recipe. If your almond butter is unsalted, you may need to increase the salt in the recipe, by about 1/4 teaspoon.
I’ve also made this recipe with crunchy almond butter. It works, but the creamy almond butter results in a better texture.
To make these healthy carrot cake bars vegan, substitute the egg for a “chia egg”. To make a chia egg, combine 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it forms a gel. Stir in the chia egg with the almond butter, then continue making the recipe as written.
Keywords: carrot cake bars