These buffalo tofu tacos are deliciously spicy, and you’ll be surprised how easy it is to make crispy tofu in the oven. This recipe is perfect for a tasty plant-based taco night!
- 8oz tofu, cut into 1/2” cubes and pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas or 6 (4-inch) street taco tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce and/or cabbage
- 2 tablespoons vegan ranch dressing (optional)
- To press the tofu, cut the tofu into 1/2″ pieces and spread them in a single layer on a paper towel or clean, lint-free kitchen towel. Top with another layer of paper towels or a second clean kitchen towel. (I usually do a layer of paper towels, then a kitchen towel.)
- Top with something flat and heavy like a large cookbook or a cast iron skillet. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes if you have time.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Once the tofu has been pressed and the moisture has been removed, toss the tofu gently with olive oil.
- Then toss the tofu in cornstarch. Stir until there are no powdery spots visible.
- Toss the tofu in buffalo sauce, then gently coat with breadcrumbs.
- Spread the tofu in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes then flip and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- Fill each tortilla with tofu, shredded lettuce, and a drizzle of ranch or any other toppings you like.
This recipe makes 4 standard tacos or 6 smaller street tacos. (I used street taco-sized tortillas in the photos.)
Keywords: buffalo tofu tacos