This avocado grapefruit salad is a delicious recipe to make with winter produce. Tart grapefruit, creamy avocado, and crunchy almonds are a delicious combination on top of a bed of greens.
- 4 cups mixed greens, spinach or leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled and segmented (see note)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the mixed greens with the avocado, grapefruit slices, and almond slices.
- Whisk together the olive oil, champagne vinegar, and honey.
- Drizzle the mixed greens with the dressing and toss until completely coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To segment the grapefruit, use a sharp paring knife to slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit. Carefully cut away the skin on the sides to remove all the white pith. Slice in between the segments to remove the fleshy part of the fruit from the pith. This will remove most of the bitterness of the grapefruit.
To make this vegan, substitute agave nectar for honey.