- 1 cup soymilk (or almond milk)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance vegan margarine (or butter)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 8 oz whole wheat macaroni
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Start by combining the first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan, and whisk over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the margarine is completely melted.
- Slowly whisk in the whole wheat flour, and continue to cook over low heat for 3 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken.
- In a separate pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add in 8oz of macaroni and cook until the pasta is still just a tiny bit firm.
- Drain the pasta, and pour into an 8×8 baking dish or 4 large ramekins.
- Cover with cheese sauce and breadcrumbs and bake for 5 minutes at 350.
- Note: If your cheese sauce sets while your pasta is cooking, just whisk in a little extra soymilk to thin it out. Same thing for reheating. You may need to add a little soymilk into the dish and stir it around.