After a failed attempt at quinoa cookies and many attempts at a protein cookie that doesn’t taste like you’re eating styrofoam, I’ve finally done it. I should have figured it out earlier since it’s really just a modified version of these breakfast cookies. But hey, sometimes the obvious things take awhile to notice. So let’s not wait any longer! Let’s get to the cookies. Did I mention that these protein cookies are vegan and gluten free? Yeah.Print
To keep these vegan, use dairy free chocolate chips. Mine were the Enjoy Life brand which are dairy free. To keep these gluten free, use gluten free oats. Mine were Bob’s Red Mill which are gluten free.
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tbsp protein powder (I used vanilla)
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.’
- In a small bowl, mash the banana until it’s just slightly lumpy.
- Stir in the oats and the protein powder. I recommend vanilla but if you use plain, just add a few drops of vanilla.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and drop the cookies onto the sheet with a large spoon. It should make 5 cookies.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until set.
With the protein powder I used, mine had about 80 calories per cookie. Here are the full stats. Not bad for something that tastes like dessert! These have the ooey gooey texture of a banana based breakfast cookie (if you’ve never had one of those then you seriously need to try this recipe) so just a warning that this isn’t a crumbly type of cookie. Still, the chocolate chips make this feel like a sweet treat yet the protein powder means your stomach won’t be growling again in 10 minutes.
I’ve been packing these as a quick snack to tide be over between breakfast and lunch. It means my stomach isn’t totally growling by 11:00am! Does anyone else seem to get hungry long before lunch time?
I’m sure the rest of these will disappear over the weekend so I might have to make a second batch on Sunday. I’m excited for a packed weekend ahead!