This was our first Thanksgiving in Richmond and it was wonderful! My lovely sister in law hosted us all of us at her house and there was enough food to feed an army! I volunteered to make butternut squash, but I wanted to make something that didn’t need to be served immediately out of the oven, since I knew oven space would be tight. I settled on a recipe that could be served at room temperature. I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetite and it turned out pretty well!Print
Wild Rice & Butternut Squash
This side dish is perfect served chilled or at room temperature. It easily serves 12 as a side dish so you can halve the recipe if you don’t need that much!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten Free
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the rice. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spread the squash into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once. (You may need to roast it a bit longer, depending on your oven. Make sure it’s a bit brown on the sides.)
- Once both are cooked, spread out the cooked rice and butternut squash onto foil and let cool.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. (It’s easier if you do it while it’s submerged in water!)
- Mix together the olive oil, honey, and vinegar.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
We had a huge Thanksgiving dinner with my family and my sister in laws family so it was fun being together! The mashed potatoes and cornbread stuffing we’re ah-maze-ing. Who needs turkey when you have amazing side dishes?
I’m thinking about braving a bit of shopping today to try to knock out my Christmas shopping and pick up a few things for the house. But first, I need some more coffee.
Wish me luck. I’m hoping to show you some before & after pictures of the house on Monday, so hopefully we can get the house put together in some sort of order. Right now, there are boxes and tools everywhere, but things are coming together!
What was the best dish you ate yesterday?
Linking up with Semi-Healthy Saturday.