At the Get Well Challenge goal setting session, one of our trainers, Julie, talked to us about the importance of eating balanced snacks, to help keep our blood sugar levels stable. Instead of eating an apple and some grapes, she recommended we try combining a fruit with a protein. I’d honestly never really thought about that. I’ve started having an apple with a piece of string cheese in the afternoon, and the combination of sugar and protein really does keep me energized, and I’m usually able to go for a run after work, without feeling tired.
I started trying a few other combinations of snacks that pack a little protein but are still relatively low in calories, so I thought I’d share some of these ideas!
Healthy Snack Ideas
From top to bottom:
- Apple + greek yogurt (fruit + protein!)
- Carrots + almonds (lots of crunch, for less calories than lots almonds!)
- Tomatos + hummus (this super hummus is made with edamame for more protein)
- Kashi crackers + laughing cow cheese (tastes indulgent, but is still low in calories and fat)
- Hazelnut butter + banana (real hazelnut butter, move over Nutella)
- Grapefruit + snack bar (I love the kids kind, smaller but still satisfying)
I’m also trying to snack more in the afternoon, when I’m actually hungry, than at night, when I’m just bored. I’m a big night time snacker. Does anyone have tips for curbing snack cravings in the evening?
I’m snacking a little extra today since I’ve got a 10 mile run on the agenda! I’ve never pushed into double digits so wish me luck!