I’m literally eating these oven baked zucchini fries while I’m writing this post. I’m getting salt on the keyboard. But I can’t stop eating them. And I knew I needed to blog about these right away. Well, right after I instagrammed them.
I can’t even take credit for them. But when I walked in from church, a little while before the Super Bowl, my roommates were whipping these up for the party. I had a post all planned for today, but after tasting these, I knew this needed to be shared asap. I’ve actually made a similar recipe (these faux fried zucchini chips) but these zucchini sticks are more of a “general” crowd pleaser. (If you’re used to Fiber One, try the faux fried zucchini chips. If not, stick with these.)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs (or gluten free panko crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ pounds zucchini, (about 3 medium), cut into ½-by-3-inch sticks
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Blue cheese, marinara, or hot sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix the bread crumbs, salt, and garlic powder and spread on a plate.
- Dip zucchini in egg white, and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the zucchini so they’re not touching, on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake on the center rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the zucchini over.
- Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Serve with marinara, hot sauce, or blue cheese!
Serve with a few different kinds of dips (I liked hot salsa) and you’ve got a great party snack.
I munched on way too many of these while watching the
game commercials. But I suppose that’s better than diving face first into the tortilla chips. Right? Balance, I’m telling you.