Summer produce tends to steal the show when it comes to salad, but winter salads shouldn’t be overlooked. Grapefruit is one of my favorite fruits and this is prime grapefruit season. Mixed with a little avocado and fennel, this salad is packed with flavor. It’s perfect for your next brunch!
I love the creamy texture of the avocados paired with juicy grapefruit segments. It takes a little extra effort to segment the grapefruit and remove all of the bitter pith but it’s totally worth it.Print
Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Salad
- 1 large head of fennel
- 3 large grapefruits
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Cut the fennel bulb to separate it from the fronds.
- Slice the very end off of the root and use a knife to cut out the middle part of the stem.
- Very thinly slice the fennel bulb
- Segment the grapefruit, using a knife to cut away the peel and the bitter pith (the white part.)
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and slice into segments.
- Combine the fennel, grapefruit segments, and avocado slices in a large bowl. Be careful not to smash the avocado.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and gently combine.
- Serve immediately.
Our Wednesday night bible study was doing a “breakfast for dinner” themed night with pancakes and breakfast casserole (and of course, plenty of bacon for the meat-eaters!) so I wanted to supply some sort of healthy side dish that wouldn’t feel out of place at the breakfast table. Since grapefruit seemed like an obvious choice, I wanted to pair it with something that would cut down on the bitterness. The fennel and avocado were a perfect pair!
Looking for some other citrusy-avocado recipes? This avocado + orange salad is one of our favorites!
In fact, this grapefruit and avocado salad would be delicious on top of a bed of spinach or mixed greens!