I’ve been loving the abundance of zucchini lately. Between zucchini pasta, zucchini pizza boats, and zucchini fries, I’d never made anything sweet with it. Since I wasn’t sure how Alex would react to (yet another) dinner of zucchini, I decided to try it in a muffin recipe. I ended up making them pretty chocolatey because… why wouldn’t you?
Just hover over the image to pin it, so you don’t forget to make these!
- 1 medium zucchini, grated (about 1 cup of grated zucchini)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- I grated my zucchini using a fine cheese grater. It did take awhile but with a little elbow grease you'll have it done in no time. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the sugar, egg, vanilla and yogurt until combined.
- Fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Scoop out into 12 muffin tins and bake for 15-18 minutes.
I know, it’s hard to let them cool before digging in. The chocolate is so perfectly melty. I think next time I’ll try using mini chocolate chips.
Each muffin has just under 200 calories. (You can see the full nutritional info here.) You could get them down to about 150 calories if you half the chocolate chips. These really are loaded with chocolate chips… but that’s part of why they’re awesome. Still. Choose your own adventure.
Don’t forget to pin these so you can make them later!