Let’s get back on track people. Seriously, let’s do it.
Ok, I can blame last week on my birthday. But this week, it’s time to get back to basics. More vegetables, less junk. It’s that simple.
Or so it seems.
Do you ever feel like you keep making the same goals over and over again?
It’s frustrating, I know. I know, because I make them too. So let’s start with healthy eating (what else?!) and where it starts. You may think it starts at the “what’s for dinner” idea… but it’s actually before that.
When you walk into the grocery store, you’re making choices for the rest of the week.
There are two common mistakes people (me) make:
1. You don’t buy healthy food
2. You don’t buy healthy food you actually like
If you don’t have healthy food on hand, you won’t be able to make good choices. And if you don’t buy healthy food that you actually like, it’ll just go to waste.
So here are the staples that I buy at the store, that keep me reaching for healthy food all week:
- Almond milk- I like unsweetened vanilla and I use it in my smoothies and my coffee
- Frozen fruit- I’ll either mix it with yogurt or eat it right out of the bag!
- Egg Whites- Easily cooked in the microwave with a little string cheese, for a protein packed snack
- Apples/Bananas- The perfect grab and go snacks (and I use a banana in all my smoothies!)
- Onions/Tomatoes- Versatile for everything from stir fry to salsa
- Beans- Canned make it easy for last minute dinners
- Greek Yogurt- I’ll eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacking!
- Salad Mix- You’re more likely to eat your vegetables if they’re already washed and ready!
These are the things I stock my cart with when I’m really trying to get back on track. I love pretzels, granola, soy crisps, cereal, and other healthy-ish snacks, but sometimes I have trouble with portion control. Sometimes instead of trying to control it, it’s best to just not have it around. But hey, maybe you’re not all as tempted by Peanut Butter Puffins as I am 😉
I find that lots of veggies and protein tend to be the best way for me to fill up and stay energized. While it’s easy for me to munch my way through a box of cereal, it doesn’t leave me feeling full. I’ll be sticking to protein packed yogurt bowls, and lots of vegetable stir fries!