After following the Tone It Up meal plan (more or less) for a week, I was ready for some good old fashioned bread on Sunday. There are few things I love more than a fresh slice of bread. The issue I have is that I don’t usually want to make an entire loaf of bread… because I will eat it all in a matter of days. Why aren’t there more single serving bread recipes? Just in case you love bread as much as I do, here is a super simple recipe for some warm and fluffy bread.
I’m not really sure if I should call these biscuits or rolls or just little mini loafs. You could make it in a bread pan so it would look more like regular bread but I made mine in a skillet to save time and avoid preheating the oven. Seriously, this recipe could not be easier! Ready?
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt (to taste)
- ⅓ cup warm water
- (Rosemary or other herbs, optional.)
- In a food processor, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend for 10 seconds.
- While running the food processor on low, slowly add in the olive oil and water.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until a dough starts to form. (You'll be able to tell; it'll start to clump up.)
- Warm a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and swirl around the pan to lightly coat.
- Shape the dough into 4 small patties.
- Drop into the heated skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
- You can sprinkle them with rosemary or other herbs while they're cooking.
- Serve immediately. (They will only keep for a day or so.)
Technically this recipe makes 4 little mini loaves so if you wanted to be strict on portions you could serve 4 people with these. But they’re so delicious that you’ll probably want to eat (at least) 2. Or maybe that’s just me?
I’m glad I can finally whip up a quick mini-batch of bread to accompany soups or salads without leaving a huge loaf of bread out on the counter.
Somehow, I managed to not eat all of these mini loafs (but I did eat 2 1/2… oops.) Luckily it was a gorgeous day outside yesterday and I managed to take quite few walks. I don’t have a pedometer but I’m pretty sure I got in plenty of steps for the day. I’m loving this warm weather!