I’ve been putting it off. But I finally gave CrossFit a try. It’s so different from my normal workout style, I figured it would be a good way to push myself into something new! Now that I’m running a lot less, I’m looking for new classes to keep me from getting bored. CrossFit seemed like a good thing to try.
So let me be totally honest. When I walked into CrossFit RVA I kind of expected to hate it. It just seemed so different from everything I’d done before, and the gym is seriously intimidating. At first. But the thing is, everyone turned out to be so friendly! The trainers were super nice, and everyone was cheering each other on. It really was like a little community! (And even though I was a total newbie, everyone was so supportive!)
Each workout is a new circuit, and the hardest part of the whole thing was remembering all the parts of the circuit I got to try all types of different lifts, which was kind of cool. I think my favorite part was the box jumps. Can I do that all the time?
What I Liked
- The instructors demonstrated everything, and had us practice with PVC pipes before we tried the moves with weights.
- From the warm up to the actual circuit, you keep moving! I’m definitely sore today!
- The people were so friendly and encouraging! I looked like a total dork, but they cheered me on anyway.
Disliked Am Still Thinking About
- I’m not sure what my fitness goals are… and I’m not sure that “lifting heavy things” is on there.
- Since I’m totally new to a lot of the lifts, I was a little afraid of doing something wrong, and hurting myself (although the trainers were readily available!)
- CrossFit is expensive. I already have two gym memberships, plus gymnastics, so it starts to add up.
Overall, I’m really glad I tried it! I’ll definitely be going back, and it really was such a different workout than I’m used to doing. I love circuit type workouts because they’re so efficient, and I like that the CrossFit classes change each day, so your muscles never get used to a certain workout!
And the trainer said he’d never seen anyone smile so much during a workout. Oops? I guess I was pretty excited